|I really need to cook dinner earlier to get better pics in natural light.|
Qdoba's Tortilla Soup
--adapted from Qdoba's Facebook Page
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- ½ cup poblano pepper, diced into ½” pieces
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 2 cups fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup grated jack cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
In a 2 quart saucepot over medium heat add oil, onions, and poblanos and cook for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
In blender, place broth and tortillas, and puree until just about smooth.
Add blended mixture to pot along with fire roasted tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil.
Add shredded chicken and reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
Season to taste and serve with cheese and jack cheese for garnish (Qdoba's original recipe on Facebook has several suggestions for garnishes that I will need to try).
Makes 6 cups